How fast is sea level currently rising?
To answer this question for Kiel-Holtenau, we compare the sea level trend of the last 50 years with all previous 50-year periods. Since the beginning of data availability (1955), there are 18 overlapping 50-year periods.
Please choose time period
- So far, the largest 50-year trend was in the period of 1963-2012, whereas the smallest trend was in the period of 1955-2004.
- The trend of the last 50 years is within this range of the past.
- The rate of sea level rise over the last 50 years at Kiel-Holtenau is 1.3 mm/yr.
- This rate is normal (equal to the median (1.3 mm/yr)).
- Compared to the past, the current rate is not among the top five highest. Note: The normal range refers to the 5-95 percentile range.