How fast is sea level currently rising?
To answer this question for Flensburg, we compare the sea level trend of the last 50 years with all previous 50-year periods. Since the beginning of data availability (1955), there are 17 overlapping 50-year periods.
Please choose time period
- So far, the largest 50-year trend was in the period of 1970-2019, whereas the smallest trend was in the period of 1955-2004.
- The trend of the last 50 years is larger than the largest trend of the past.
- The rate of sea level rise over the last 50 years at Flensburg is 2 mm/yr.
- This rate is very high and above the normal range (1.9 mm/yr).
- Compared to the past, the current rate is among the top five highest. Note: The normal range refers to the 5-95 percentile range.